I always had my reservations, don’t ask me why, when it came to garlic chives. I never knew how it would taste and was a little skeptic on how to cook it. I put aside my reservations and am extremely happy that I discovered that garlic chives is not only so yummy, it has officially become my favourite stalk *winks*
Before I started cooking, I kept getting this amazing whiff from the freshly chopped chives. It was making me a little impatient as I wanted to cook and eat the chives so bad!! Anyway, you should not use the very end of the chives. I got rid of the last 3 inches of it which were the least green portion of the chives. Still not sure what I was going to do, I decided to peep into my refrigerator and found regular firm tofu and minced chicken. And I thought…hmm…this could work and I wasn’t wrong. The outcome was phenomenal!! Here is the recipe!
- 3 firm regular tofu cut into 8 cubes/each
- 1 bunch of garlic chives cut into 2.5 inches lengths
- 200 grams of minced chicken (I’m guessing any meat you have in hand should do the trick)
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 3 tbsp of thick soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- Soy sauce to taste
- I wanted the tofu to be hard and less flimsy when I stir fry. So, I pre-fried them in a pan turning them around each side till they had a nice golden hue on all sides. Once done, I kept aside
- Next, I started to saute the garlic in a wok with some oil, before throwing in the minced chicken. Once the chicken was cooked, I splashed in the thick soy sauce, oyster sauce and salty soy sauce and gave it a good stir.
- I threw in the chives and tofu into the wok and made sure the sauce was evenly coated on all the tofu cubes. I hardly took 15 minutes to make this dish. (Not to mention I was very impatient at this point)
This dish is best served with hot and steaming cup of rice. It’s gorgeous!