I don’t know what’s the fascination with Malaysians and fried rice, but there is at least 20 types of fried rice that I have had. There’s probably more than that, just that I didn’t know. There’s the chinese fried rice. Even within the chinese style, you’ve got a couple of versions. With pork, without pork, seafood, chicken, and the list goes on. And then you have the Malay style which uses belacan, anchovies, spicy, seafood, chicken, etc. And Malaysians are so influenced by the Thai flavours that you have Tom Yum fried rice, pineapple fried rice and etc. Not forgetting the mamak style too.
My personal favourite is the classic chinese fried rice, nasi goreng sambal belacan and nasi goreng kampung (village style). Today I’ll share the recipe for the chinese fried rice and belacan fried rice.
The thing about fried rice is that it’s better when the rice is a day or two older. As it will not turn into mushy fried rice. But in case you don’t have a day old rice, just cook your rice with a little less water so that you get a more grainier rice.
Chinese Fried Rice
- Seafood or chicken or pork
- Diced carrots
- Peas (if you like, I don’t)
- Garlic chopped
- Shallots chopped
- Green spring onion/Chives chopped for final garnish
- Stir fry sauce/oyster sauce
- Soy sauce
- Chopped chilis (optional)
- Garlic and onions fried first. Throw in your seafood or meat
- Add the veges and then add the egg and scramble to bits
- Thrown in the rice and stir fry with a little bit stir fry sauce and soy sauce for taste.
- Just before turning off the heat, add your spring onion/chives. Walla, you’re done.
Nasi Goreng Belacan (Shrimp Fried Rice)
- Belacan (Dried shrimps)
- Prawns or chicken
- Ground chili
- Thick soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Hot Chilis (optional)
- Fried egg (Any style you want. Most people eat it with sunny side up, easy over or omelette)
- Fry the onions, garlic, ground chili, belacan and seafood/chicken in a pan
- Add the veges and chilis
- Once vege is cooked, add in the rice, thick soy sauce and fish sauce
- Stir fry till the rice is coated with all the sauce
- Once done, serve with fried egg